onsdag 16 september 2009

Reflections on snooping bosses

I don’t really see a problem with my boss wanting to make sure that I do my job properly.

For me it’s simple: When you work you work and in your private time you can do whatever you want to do. Let’s face it, if there’s an opportunity to surf the web, most people will. 45% of us admit that it’s our favourite time waster. I know that there will be moments within the work hours when it feels like there isn’t anything to do, but instead of going onto the web and getting stuck there longer than necessary, you can always find something else to do. Clean your desk, help someone else, anything as long as you keep active.

But people today are lazy and even if they can’t use the internet it isn’t sure they will do anything at all. Maybe they’ll just sit and do nothing, waiting for the day to end. I still think it’s a better alternative then the internet, especially for those who easily become restless.

However, if there is accessible internet in the workplace I think it should be very limited. I really don’t understand why some workplaces give you the opportunity to visit youtube and facebook for example. It’s like begging you to waste some hours.

At home on the other hand I want to keep things as private as possible, but sadly the government controls its citizens more and more especially on the internet. And even though I don’t like the surveillance on the internet I would actually want more cameras in public. It’s a very efficient way to solve crimes. As long as my home is my “safe-zone” I don’t mind the surveillance at the workplace nor in public.

It’s all about accepting facts, this is the way things work these days. Sure, I would’ve wanted to live in the 60’s or 70's, it seemed like a much simpler time (at least for some). On the other hand, every decade has it's pros and cons. The reality is, however, that we live in the 21st century and it is what it is. If you don’t have anything to hide then you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

4 kommentarer:

  1. Some say that “the key to wait patiently is to keep occupied“, or as you said - active. Other says that “if you are occupied with good things, you don’t have time to do bad things“. This is two truths underestimated, I think.
    Another thing you mention is that people are lazy, sadly that’s true, and I think that’s connected to lack of imagination. If someone really wants to do a good job he finds ways to do it, he’ll be interested in his company and thinks of way to contribute to the company. On other hand, if one is lazy, he will try to get away with doing as little as possible (not realizing what’s bringing him food on his table).
    So I don’t quite agree with the part that says that employers allowing their employees to visit any website are practically “begging” them to visit unsuitable websites. There’s a world between “allowing” and “begging”, at least for me. I actually think that’s a very childish way of thinking. One have to take responsibility for ones actions, whether they are “allowed” or not.
    I like your finishing of the blog; we can‘t change what time we live in, we can just make the best of it. As mush as I would like to live in a time where nothing like “surveillance cameras” where even known, I have to admit that I would probably miss the free thinking we possess today. That for me, is far more precious than all the technical comfortably we may enjoy.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hi Adam

    About the snooping at work, my opinion is that the supervisor should have the right to control what cause the drop in effectiveness or productivity at the workplace, but only then. Not just for fun, a reason must exist. And I don’t have any problems with that as well, because I´m employed for a reason, and that is to do a job. If my time is used to surf the net and my tasks aren’t done appropriately in time, then someone else have to do them and this is a big cause of irritation at the workplace. No one appreciate this worker. I fully understand that the boss would keep track of the workers so that they do a good jab, so the company goes as good as possible.

    Robin

    SvaraRadera
  3. I can't agree with you when you say that people today are lazy and instead of do something necessary at work they surf on the web. I don't think or hope that employees at hospitals, for example, surf on the web instead of taking care of the sick people.
    What you have seen or learn I don't know, I can just talk about my own experiences. Bosses or other who snoop on the employees are often the worst type, they don't do anything necessary. Instead of working they surf on the web and in the most cases you find the lazy people at the highest positions in the company. Perhaps the employees should snoop on the Bosses instead?
    I can't just accept that it should be like this. If nobody makes clear that this way of living/working isn't ok, I think that in the future the Bosses even watch the employees when they go to the toilet.

    SvaraRadera
  4. I think your wrong on almost every count.
    I'm a member of Piratpartiet, and have been for over a year now, so keep up with the latest news and statistics about Integrity.

    So my first debunk:
    Its true that if you have the opportunity to go online and surf whatever you want, you most likely will.
    On the other hand, studies show that if your allowed to use private surfing while at work, increases your productivity levels.

    Second:
    I HATE the "om du har rent mjöl i påsen"
    That is a totally unacceptable line when it comes to integrity. You don't want people to follow you in to the toilet do you? NO, because that crossing YOUR line, but what if your parents are muslims and will basicly kill you if they found out your gay?
    And ofcourse it does not stop at that. People have different lines, and its not your business to go and tell everyone that they are criminal just because they draw their line farther outside of the toilet.

    Third:
    Ill finish with this since i don't want to be all complainy.
    The phrase "Cameras are good efficient ways to solve crime"
    Well thats just pure bs. Latest studies show that camera related solved crimes in Europe is much much less then 1%. And that the total cost of putting this up everywhere is extremely inefficient use of money, since you can allocate those funds to new police officers instead that solve hundreds of times more crimes that cameras does PLUS you give more job-opportunity's

    Well written, but oh so wrong :) (From my point of view that is)

    SvaraRadera