Here are some philosophical thoughts on the constant recurring questions: What’s the meaning of life? Where does everything come from?
This is something I actually think too much about, and I don’t recommend it because it can drive you crazy. Personally I don’t think there is a meaning, I think we live and die, simple as that. Well, there’s always the survival instinct – both in an individual way and for the survival of the species. And that is the only reasonable explanation I can understand, but still don’t accept. I believe that one of the universal rules is that nothing lasts for ever and therefore there’s no meaning with anything.
Today we know so much more than we did thousands of years ago, but still people are religious. And it’s not a small part of the world’s inhabitants that believe in something, it’s a very big majority. Fine, there isn’t any proof that a “God” doesn’t exist I guess as well as there isn’t any proof of an existing “God”. Therefore, with all the knowledge we have today which make the no “God” theory more likely the reasonable thing would be to suppose that there is no “God” until it has been proven.
At the same time I envy religious people. They have life figured out and rely on a fictional character. And I think this is how religion works, as some kind of safety system for people. They are afraid of the unknown and religion gives them an explanation for everything.
Regarding the intelligent design that “God” was supposed to have sent in the decimals of pi, I don’t believe that at all. You can find patterns everywhere if you want to. How many times hasn’t “God” appeared on a piece of burnt toast? Many times according to some people. Never if you ask me.
What I do believe however is that there’s definitely a chance of life on other planets, in other galaxies, maybe there are even other universes. Who knows what’s out there?
torsdag 17 december 2009
Prenumerera på:
Kommentarer till inlägget (Atom)
You may have right in what you say about the religious individuals finds security and comfort in religion because many of the worlds religions have the question of life all figured out. But isn't the question and the journey towards ever lasting enlightenment the exciting bit? How fun is it to not have anything to wounder about?
SvaraRaderaThat is a very dark philosophy to lead your life. That is "Nothing lasts for ever and therefore there’s no meaning with anything." But I have to agree with you though, sometimes it is exactly what I'm thinking too. A quote from the roman empire fits pretty good "We are but shadows and dust." But I think religion it self is not just the belief that there is something bigger than oneself and to explain the unexplainable, it is also a way of life that connects us with each other. Sometimes just having the same physical appearance is not enough to make connections. Sometimes you need to have emotional and spiritual similarity to make connections. Religion might not let you learn about the hidden truths in the universe, but it can simply get you some more friends.
SvaraRaderaI strongly agree with that nothing lasts forever and I find the question "meaing of life" hard to answer..
SvaraRaderaI think, just as you, that we live and we die. Why? Don't know. I haven't figured out why human beings exists. But I do know that I like living and I try to make the best of every day. Just the thought of the whole concept of space, death, meaning of life, aliens etc. makes me afraid so I try not to think about it. And in these moments of fear I can understand people who finds safeness in religion.
Hi.
SvaraRaderaI also envy religious people becouse they do have something to believe in and, in their case something/someone to fall back on. One aspect of the book points out that what you believe in can be something else for another person, yet it's still the same thing. I would like to believe in something heigher, that something is watching and caring for us. But unfortunatly I find it hard to find it in me to believe. Yet, who knows what's out there as you pointed out...
About that envy...
SvaraRaderaI don't envy them, having everything worked out and not be able to make your own decicions just follow the rules someone once wrote. That feels like the old soviet-communism and makes you play a supporting role instead of lead in your own life.
However, if your own decision is to subject yourself to religious beliefs and that works for you, do so, but I won't.